April is a fantastic time to visit Phuket, Thailand’s largest island in the Andaman Sea. This month marks the start of the hot season in Phuket, bringing plenty of sunshine, clear skies, and warm temperatures before the commencement of the rainy season in May.
With the island in full swing during this period, visitors can expect to enjoy a wide range of activities, from soaking up the sun on the stunning beaches to indulging in the vibrant nightlife and exploring the local culture.
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing getaway or an action-packed adventure, Phuket in April will surely deliver.
In this post, we’ll take a closer look at why April is the perfect time to visit Phuket and highlight some of the top attractions and events to check out while you’re there.
Average Climate in Phuket in April
In April, Phuket experiences warm and humid weather with an average temperature of around 29°C (84°F) during the day and 24°C (75°F) at night. The humidity is relatively high with an average relative humidity of 75-80%, which can make the heat feel more intense. However, there are often cool sea breezes that help to alleviate the heat.
The sea temperature is warm and pleasant, averaging around 29°C (84°F), perfect for swimming, snorkelling, and other water activities.
The rainfall in April is relatively low, with an average of around 50mm of rainfall over the course of the month. While occasional short-lived rain showers or thunderstorms may occur, they typically do not last long and are followed by clear skies.
Overall, April is considered one of the best months to visit Phuket due to its warm and comfortable temperature, low rainfall, and warm sea temperature. These conditions make it perfect for outdoor activities such as exploring the beaches, islands, and natural attractions of Phuket.
However, it is worth noting that April is also the peak of the dry season, meaning the island can be quite crowded with tourists, particularly around Songkran.
Phuket Festivals and Events in April
Here are some interesting festivals and events that happen in Phuket in April:
- Songkran Festival: This is the biggest festival of the year in Thailand and marks the Thai New Year. Songkran falls from April 13-15 and is celebrated with water fights, parades, and other traditional ceremonies. Remember that Songkran is marked by a 3-day public holiday and many businesses will be closed.
- Phuket Bike Week: A popular event for motorcycle enthusiasts. The festival features bike shows, competitions, and a charity ride to raise money for local causes. (2023 event 28-30 April)
- Chao Le Boat Floating Festival: Celebrated by the Sea Gypsies or Chao Le people who live on the Andaman coast of Thailand, this festival is held on the full moon day of the sixth lunar month (usually in April). It involves boats being decorated with flowers and other offerings and then floated out to sea.
What to Wear in Phuket in April
Travelling to Phuket during the dry season, here are some good things to wear in April:
- Lightweight and breathable clothing: Choose clothing made from lightweight and breathable fabrics, such as cotton or linen. Loose-fitting tops and bottoms can help you stay cool and comfortable in the heat.
- Sun-protective clothing: Consider wearing clothing that offers UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Look for clothing that covers your arms and legs, such as long-sleeved shirts and pants – remember the UV Index in April is considered extreme.
- Swimwear: Pack plenty of swimwear, including swimsuits, rash guards, and board shorts. This will allow you to take advantage of Phuket’s beautiful beaches and warm waters.
- Hat and sunglasses: Protect your face and eyes from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Sandals or flip-flops: Choose comfortable and breathable footwear, such as sandals or flip-flops, that can be easily slipped on and off.
- Lightweight rain jacket: Although the dry season is generally rain-free, it’s still a good idea to pack a lightweight rain jacket or poncho in case of unexpected rain or storms.
Remember to dress appropriately when visiting temples or other religious sites in Phuket. It’s essential to dress modestly and cover your shoulders and knees in these places – we talk more about dress code here.
FAQs About Visiting Phuket in April
If you love the heat and hitting the beach, April can be a great time to visit Phuket. If you are adverse to the extreme heat and humidity though, you might find April starts to get a little too warm.
No, although it’s getting hot and humid, April is considered the end of dry season. The likelihood of rain can increase during the month, but it’s unlikely to spoil an April trip to Phuket.
Are you ready to plan your Phuket trip in April?
© Mama Loves Phuket 2023