November is an excellent time to visit Phuket, Thailand’s largest island located in the Andaman Sea. As the rainy season comes to an end, visitors can expect plenty of sunshine and warm temperatures, particularly towards the end of the month.
November marks the start of the high season in Phuket, meaning visitors can expect a bustling atmosphere and plenty of activities and events to enjoy. It will be much quieter though at the start of the dry season compared to visiting in December and January.
In this blog post, we’ll look closer at why November is a great time to visit Phuket and highlight some of the top activities and attractions to check out while you’re there.
Average Climate in Phuket in November
November marks the end of the rainy season in Phuket, with a transition to the drier and cooler season. The average temperature during this month ranges from 24°C to 31°C (75°F to 88°F), with cooler temperatures towards the end of the month. The humidity level decreases as well, averaging around 77%.
The sea temperature is still warm and pleasant in November, ranging from 27°C to 29°C (81°F to 84°F), making it perfect for swimming and water activities.
November is one of the driest months in Phuket, with an average rainfall of 165 mm, which means travellers can expect plenty of sunshine and blue skies (though a sudden downpour is still not unheard of, November 2022 was relatively wet).
Phuket Festivals in November
Here are some interesting festivals and events that happen in Phuket in November:
- Loy Krathong Festival: Loy Krathong is a popular festival celebrated all over Thailand, and it takes place in November. It is a festival of lights, and people float Krathongs (small decorated boats made of banana leaves and flowers) on rivers and lakes to pay respect to the water goddess and to symbolize letting go of negativity.
- Nai Harn Lake and Patong Beach are popular spots to get involved, as are Saphan Hin Park and Suan Luang Park in Phuket Town.
- In 2023, the occasion will be marked on Monday, 27 November.
Other Phuket Events in November
- Mai Khao Turtle Fun Run and Mini-Marathon: This annual event takes place in November and features a 2.5km family run, a 5km fun run and a 15km mini marathon along Khao Beach. The event raises awareness of the need to protect the endangered sea turtles that nest on the beach. (Event was not held 2023, we await further news)
- Turtle Release Ceremony: The Turtle Release Ceremony takes place on the beaches of Mai Khao in Phuket in November. It is a conservation effort to help protect sea turtles by releasing them back into the ocean. (Dates TBC)
- Laguna Phuket Triathlon: The Laguna Phuket Triathlon is an annual triathlon event held in November in Phuket. It attracts athletes from around the world who compete in a swim-bike-run race. (This years event is scheduled for 19 November 2023)
- Phuket Soccer 7’s: This fun sporting event will take place over two weekends in November at the Thanyapura Sports Complex (18-19 November and 25-26 November 2023)
What to Wear in Phuket in November
Travelling to Phuket during the start of the dry season, here are some good things to wear in Phuket in November:
- Lightweight and breathable clothing: Choose clothing made from lightweight and breathable fabrics, such as cotton or linen. Loose-fitting tops and bottoms can help you stay cool and comfortable in the heat.
- Sun-protective clothing: Although November records some of the lowest UV Index levels of the year, consider wearing clothing that offers UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Look for clothing that covers your arms and legs, such as long-sleeved shirts and pants.
- Swimwear: Pack plenty of swimwear, including swimsuits, rash guards, and board shorts. This will allow you to take advantage of Phuket’s beautiful beaches and warm waters.
- Hat and sunglasses: Protect your face and eyes from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Sandals or flip-flops: Choose comfortable and breathable footwear, such as sandals or flip-flops, that can be easily slipped on and off.
- Lightweight rain jacket: Although the dry season is generally rain-free, it’s still a good idea to pack a lightweight rain jacket or poncho in case of unexpected rain or storms.
Remember to dress appropriately when visiting temples or other religious sites in Phuket. In these places, it’s important to dress modestly and cover your shoulders and knees.
FAQs About Visiting Phuket in November
November is a transition month for Phuket, so whilst it is technically the start of the dry season, heavy downpours can still be expected well into November – but more sunny skies than grey! The advantage of visiting in November is fewer crowds than in the peak or dry season.
Cloud cover decreases over November with longer sunny spells experienced towards month end. There are just short of 12 hours of daylight in Phuket in November and 5-6 hours of sunshine. The UV index is at its lowest in November.
Although technically the start of the dry season in Phuket, November can still bring with it occasional rain storms and heavy downpours. They normally pass as quickly as they arrive, so will not spoil your November trip to Phuket. On average, Phuket experiences 248mm of rain in November.
© Mama Loves Phuket 2023