Whilst the vast majority of Thai people in Phuket you come in touch with during your holiday are likely to speak some basic English and be able to communicate with you, learning a few basic words in Thai will certainly enhance your trip and be appreciated.
Common Thai Phrases Every Tourist Should Learn
- Hello: สวัสดี (sà-wàt-dii)
- Thank you: ขอบคุณ (kòp-khun)
- Yes: ใช่ (châi)
- No: ไม่ (mâi)
- Excuse me: ขอโทษ (kǎw-tôot)
- Please: โปรด (bròt)
- Sorry: ขอโทษ (kǎw-tôot)
- How much?: เท่าไหร่ (tâo-rài)
- Where is…?: ที่ไหน (tîi-nǎi)
- I don’t understand: ไม่เข้าใจ (mâi-kâo-jai)
Remember that the Thai language has tones, so pay attention to each word’s tone when learning and practising these phrases. Additionally, the Thai people are generally friendly and appreciate visitors who try to speak the local language, so don’t be shy to give it a try!
We will be adding more to this page soon!
© Mama Loves Phuket 2023