January is a great time to visit Phuket for optimal outdoor weather. As the weather continues to be dry and mild, visitors can enjoy plenty of sunshine and warm temperatures throughout the month, making it the perfect time to escape the winter blues.
January is also the height of the high season in Phuket, meaning visitors can expect a bustling atmosphere and plenty of activities and events to enjoy – though not as crowded as December when many countries are on their Christmas or winter school break.
Whether you’re looking to explore the island’s stunning beaches, indulge in the local cuisine and culture, or try your hand at some water sports, there’s something for everyone in Phuket in January; just be aware peak season also means peak prices.
In this post, we’ll look closer at why January is a great time to visit Phuket and highlight some of the top activities and attractions to check out while you’re there.
Phuket Average Climate in January
January is one of the best months to visit Phuket in terms of weather, as it is generally warm and dry with comfortable humidity levels.
The average temperature in Phuket in January is around 27°C (81°F), relatively mild compared to the hotter months of April and May. However, temperatures can sometimes reach up to 32°C (90°F) during the day, so staying hydrated and wearing sunscreen is still important.
While Phuket is known for its high humidity levels, January is one of the least humid months. The average humidity level is around 75%, which is relatively comfortable compared to the peak of the rainy season in September and October.
The sea temperature in Phuket in January is around 28°C (82°F), making it ideal for swimming and water activities. The sea is also typically calm and lear during this time of year, making it perfect for snorkelling and scuba diving, too.
January is one of the driest months in Phuket, with an average of around 40mm of rainfall spread over four days. Visitors can expect plenty of sunny weather with at least 9 hours of sunshine per day on average, making it a great time to explore the island’s beaches and outdoor attractions.
Overall, January offers comfortable and pleasant weather conditions for visitors to Phuket, with mild temperatures, comfortable humidity levels, and warm sea temperatures. It would be the ideal time of year for those who ‘don’t like the heat’ to visit.
Festivals and Events in Phuket This January
Phuket hosts several interesting festivals and events in January, including:
- Phuket Old Town Festival: This festival celebrates the rich history and culture of Phuket’s Old Town and takes place over several days in mid-January. The festival features parades, street performances, traditional Thai music and dance, and local food and drinks. Events happen late afternoon into the evening (2023 dates 27 – 19 January; 2024 TBC)
- New Year’s Day: A public holiday throughout most of the world, Thailand is no exception and also marks 1 January as a public holiday for the start of the new year per the Gregorian calendar.
- Thailand International Boat Show: Held annually in early January, this event at Phuket Marina showcases some of the latest yachts, boats, and marine equipment. It also includes a range of entertainment, including live music, food and drinks, and children’s activities. (11-14 January 2024)
- PhuketStock Rock & Blues Festival: Held in January/February, this open-air festival event features local and international blues and rock bands, as well as food and drink vendors and other activities. (2023 the event was held 29 January; 2024 TBC)
- Chinese New Year: This is one of the biggest celebrations in Phuket and takes place in late January or early February each year. The festival sees the island decorated with red lanterns and dragon dance performances in the streets. (2024 will be in February)
Phuket has a rich and diverse culture, and celebrations and events often happen throughout the year.
What to Wear in Phuket in January
Travelling to Phuket during the dry season, here are some good things to wear in Phuket in January when the UV Index is very high and the chance of rainfall low:
- Lightweight and breathable clothing: Choose clothing made from lightweight and breathable fabrics, such as cotton or linen. Loose-fitting tops and bottoms can help you stay cool and comfortable in the heat.
- Sun-protective clothing: Consider wearing clothing that offers UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Look for clothing that covers your arms and legs, such as long-sleeved shirts and pants.
- Swimwear: Pack plenty of swimwear, including swimsuits, rash guards, and board shorts. This will allow you to take advantage of Phuket’s beautiful beaches and warm waters.
- Hat and sunglasses: Protect your face and eyes from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Sandals or flip-flops: Choose comfortable and breathable footwear, such as sandals or flip-flops, that can be easily slipped on and off.
Remember to dress appropriately when visiting temples or other religious sites in Phuket. It’s essential to dress modestly and cover your shoulders and knees in these places – we talk more about dress code here.
More FAQ’s About Visiting Phuket in January
This can depend on your heat tolerance, but January is considered one of the mildest months to visit Phuket. You can expect an average daily maximum of around 31°C (88°F) and lows overnight of 23°C (73°F)
January in Phuket is the dry season. You will find low rainfall and plenty of sunshine hours.
Yes, January is considered a wonderful time of year for swimming in Phuket. Sea temperatures are around 28°C (82°F).
Are you ready to plan your Phuket trip in January?
© Mama Loves Phuket 2023