February is one of the best months to visit Phuket, Thailand’s largest island in the Andaman Sea. With its warm weather, sunny skies, and festive atmosphere, this month offers an ideal opportunity to experience the best of this beautiful destination.
Whether you’re seeking a romantic getaway, a family vacation, or an adventure-packed trip with friends, Phuket in February has something for everyone. From exploring stunning beaches and marine life to indulging in traditional Thai cuisine and experiencing vibrant festivals, there’s no shortage of activities to keep you entertained.
In this post, we’ll explore why February is the perfect time to visit Phuket and share some must-see attractions and events that make this island paradise truly unique.
Average Climate in Phuket in February
In February, Phuket experiences warm and dry weather with an average temperature of around 28°C (82°F) during the day and 23°C (73°F) at night. The humidity is generally lower than other months, with an average relative humidity of 65%. The sea temperature is warm and pleasant, averaging around 28°C (82°F), perfect for swimming, snorkelling, and other water activities.
Rainfall is less frequent during this time of year, with an average of 38mm of rainfall over the course of the month. There may be occasional short-lived rain showers or thunderstorms, but they typically do not last long and are followed by clear skies.
February is considered one of the best months to visit Phuket due to its comfortable temperature and dry weather, making it ideal for outdoor activities and sightseeing.
Phuket Festivals and Events in February
Here are some interesting festivals and events that happen in Phuket in February:
- Chinese New Year: Celebrated by the local Chinese community, Chinese New Year falls in either January or February and is marked by colourful processions, dragon and lion dances, fireworks, and traditional Chinese food. (In 2024 Chinese New Year will fall on 10 February)
- Valentine’s Day: Like in many other parts of the world, Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Phuket with romantic dinners, spa treatments, and special events at hotels and restaurants (read, normal prices are hiked for the day).
- Makha Bucha Day: Celebrated by Buddhists in Thailand, Makha Bucha Day falls on the full moon day of the third lunar month (usually in February). It is a public holiday, and many people visit temples to make merit and participate in candlelit processions. (2024 this will fall on Saturday, February 24th)
5 Things to Do With Kids in Phuket This February
Here are five fun things that families can do in Phuket in February other than just going to the beach:
- Visit the Phuket Elephant Sanctuary: This sanctuary provides a safe and natural environment for retired working elephants. Families can visit the sanctuary, learn about the elephants, and even participate in feeding them.
- Splash into Andamanda Water Park: This water park is located in Mai Khao and is a great place for families to enjoy water slides, a lazy river, and other fun water activities.
- Go Island Hopping: February brings near-perfect water conditions, so make is an ideal time to take a cruise out to one of the beautiful small islands that surround Phuket. Pack your towels and togs and enjoy your own little private beach!
- Visit the Big Buddha: The Big Buddha is a giant statue that overlooks Phuket and provides breathtaking island views.
- Explore Old Phuket Town: Old Phuket Town is a historic district, home to a range of Sino-Portuguese buildings, cafes, and restaurants. Walk around the town, take pictures and enjoy some delicious Thai cuisine – Sunday nights are best to coincide with the street market.
What to Wear in Phuket in February
Travelling to Phuket during the dry season, here are some good things to wear in Phuket in February:
- Lightweight and breathable clothing: Choose lightweight and breathable fabrics, such as cotton or linen. Loose-fitting tops and bottoms can help you stay cool and comfortable in the heat.
- Sun-protective clothing: Consider wearing clothing that offers UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Look for clothing that covers your arms and legs, such as long-sleeved shirts and pants.
- Swimwear: Pack plenty of swimwear, including swimsuits, rash guards, and board shorts. This will allow you to take advantage of Phuket’s beautiful beaches and warm waters.
- Hat and sunglasses: Protect your face and eyes from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Sandals or flip-flops: Choose comfortable and breathable footwear, such as sandals or flip-flops, that can be easily slipped on and off.
- Lightweight rain jacket: Although the dry season is generally rain-free, it’s still a good idea to pack a lightweight rain jacket or poncho in case of unexpected rain or storms.
Remember to dress appropriately when visiting temples or other religious sites in Phuket. It’s essential to dress modestly and cover your shoulders and knees in these places – we talk more about dress code here.
FAQ’s About Phuket in February
We’d argue February is the best month for visiting Phuket, perfectly balancing gorgeous weather and fewer crowds in peak season.
You can expect to experience daytime highs of 32°C (90°F) and lows of 23°C (73°F). It is the driest month with the longest sunshine hours.
You are very unlikely to catch rain in February. The average rainfall is 38mm (if it does rain in Phuket in February, its usually a quick downpour that will pass quickly).
Absolutely, February is one of the best times of year to come to Phuket for swimming and water-based adventures. The waters are calm, and the average sea temperature is 28°C (82°F).
Are you ready to plan your Phuket trip in February?
© Mama Loves Phuket 2023